ADHD chairs are pieces of furniture specifically designed for people with ADD or ADHD. An ADHD chair is a specialized chair designed to help children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) improve their focus, posture, and sensory processing. With features like adjustable height and angle, swivel base, and textured surfaces, ADHD chairs provide a comfortable and ergonomic way to promote better posture and focus in children with ADHD.
The chairs provide small amounts of movement and stimulation designed to “fulfill our natural human needs for movement and fidgeting”.
Which can ultimately help the user stay focused and alert.
Videos featuring ADHD chairs have over 21 billion views on TikTok.
One popular ADHD chair generates approximately $23K/month on Amazon.
ADHD planners are part of the ADHD Products meta trend.
ADHD awareness is growing.
And some say that this increased awareness has incentivized people to seek ADHD-specific products.
Examples of trending ADHD products include:
ADHD apps monitor activity and provide organizational structure to help people with ADHD stay on track.
ADHD toys are fidget toys that may help people with ADHD improve their focus.
ADHD planners are organizational tools designed to make it easier to manage time, track goals and focus on tasks.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Question: What is an ADHD Chair?
Answer: An ADHD Chair is a type of chair that is designed to help people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) to sit still and focus better. ADHD Chairs usually have features that allow some movement, such as rocking, swaying, bouncing, or tilting, while providing stability and comfort. Some ADHD Chairs also create a “hug” feeling that can calm and soothe the user. ADHD Chairs are intended to provide sensory stimulation and feedback that can help reduce fidgeting, improve posture, and enhance concentration.
Question: How does an ADHD Chair work?
Answer: An ADHD Chair works by providing a balance between movement and stability. People with ADHD often have difficulty sitting still and paying attention, especially in environments that require prolonged sitting, such as classrooms or offices. This is because they have low levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that regulates attention, motivation, and reward. By allowing some movement, an ADHD Chair can stimulate the production of dopamine and other brain chemicals that can improve mood, alertness, and focus. At the same time, an ADHD Chair can also provide stability and support that can prevent excessive or disruptive movement and promote better posture and alignment.
An ADHD chair works by providing various forms of movement and sensory stimulation to the person who sits on it. They may wobble or rock, spin, and/or provide compression or the feeling of being hugged. Each of these sensations can fulfill the natural human needs for movement and fidgeting, which can be magnified in people with sensory processing conditions such as ADHD. Multiple research studies show that using a stability ball or a similar active seating can improve children’s performance in the classroom by increasing their levels of attention, decreasing their levels of hyperactivity, and increasing their time on task.
Question: How do ADHD chairs help?
Answer: ADHD chairs help in a few key ways. The movement and tactile inputs provide proprioceptive input, which can help calm the nervous system. This makes it easier to focus. They also give fidgety individuals something to do with their hands and body besides distracting behaviors. The movement keeps the body engaged so the mind is freer to focus. For some, the rocking motion can even be soothing. Overall, ADHD chairs make it easier to sit still and direct attention to the task at hand rather than restlessness or distractions.
Question: What are the benefits of using an ADHD Chair?
Answer: Using an ADHD Chair can have various benefits for people with ADHD, such as:
- Improved in-seat behavior and reduced out-of-seat behavior
- Increased academic performance and task completion
- Enhanced comfort and satisfaction
- Increased self-regulation and self-esteem
- Reduced fidgeting and restlessness
- Improved mood and motivation
- Better posture and ergonomics
- More comfort and satisfaction
- Improving focus and concentration by reducing distractions and boredom
- Enhancing learning and memory by stimulating brain activity and blood flow
- Promoting good posture and proper alignment by supporting the spine and core muscles
- Relieving stress and anxiety by providing comfort and relaxation
- Boosting mood and self-esteem by increasing confidence and motivation
Question: What features should an effective ADHD chair have?
Answer: Some features research has found make ADHD chairs more effective include:
- Adjustable seat height and tilt – Allows for proper ergonomics and movement.
- Rocking or swiveling base – Provides gentle, controlled movement.
- Tactile surfaces – Areas that can be squeezed, tapped, or rubbed provide input.
- Adjustable resistance – The ability to control the force of movements.
- Padded, contoured seat – Keeps body comfortable during movement.
- Portability – Lightweight and easy to move between locations.
- Aesthetics – Chairs designed for work/school blend in and don’t draw extra attention.
- Padding and cushions – Provides comfort and reduces pressure points.
- Limited recline angle – Helps keep the user in an upright position for focus.
- Fidget accessories – Like a distraction tube, roller balls etc. to occupy hands.
- Mobility – Wheels that allow the chair to move, providing stimulation.
- Adjustable armrests – Provide support and comfort in different positions.
- Ergonomic design – For proper posture and reduced body strain.
- Vibration – Helps keep the user engaged and alert.
Question: What are the types of ADHD Chairs available?
Answer: There are many types of ADHD Chairs available, each with different features and designs. Some of the most common types are:
- Therapy Ball Chairs: These are chairs that use an inflated ball as the seat, which allows the user to bounce up and down and roll side to side. Therapy Ball Chairs can improve balance, coordination, core strength, and blood circulation.
- Wobble Chairs: These are chairs that have a curved or rounded base that allows the user to wobble or tilt in any direction. Wobble Chairs can improve flexibility, mobility, and sensory integration.
- Rocking Chairs: These are chairs that have a curved or slanted base that allows the user to rock back and forth. Rocking Chairs can provide a soothing rhythm, reduce stress, and increase relaxation.
- Saddle Seat Stools: These are stools that have a saddle-shaped seat that mimics the position of riding a horse. Saddle Seat Stools can improve posture, spinal alignment, hip mobility, and pelvic stability.
- Hug Chairs: These are chairs that have a contoured or padded back that wraps around the user’s body. Hug Chairs can provide a sense of security, comfort, and warmth.
- Gravity Chair: A chair that reclines to a zero-gravity position, which can reduce pressure on the spine and joints, increase blood circulation, and promote relaxation.
- Active Sitting Chair: A chair that has a curved or flexible seat that allows the user to rock or tilt while sitting, which can activate the core muscles, improve balance, and stimulate the brain.
- Ergonomic Kneeling Chair: A chair that has a sloped seat and a knee rest that positions the user in a kneeling posture, which can align the spine, open the hips, and relieve lower back pain.
- Balance Ball Chair: A chair that has a large inflatable ball as its seat, which can challenge the user’s stability, improve flexibility, and enhance coordination.
Question: How to choose the best ADHD Chair for yourself or your loved one?
Answer: Choosing the best ADHD Chair for yourself or your loved one depends on several factors, such as:
- The age, size, weight, and preference of the user
- The type and severity of ADHD symptoms
- The setting and purpose of using the chair
- The budget and availability of the chair
- Your personal preferences and needs
- Your physical size and shape
- Your environment and setting
- Your goals and expectations
When choosing an ADHD chair for yourself or your child, here are several important factors to consider:
- Choose a seat that meets your individual sensory needs. Some people may prefer more movement, while others may prefer more stability. Some people may like more pressure, while others may like more softness.
- Choose a seat that fits your body size and shape. Make sure the seat is comfortable, adjustable, and supportive for your height, weight, and proportions.
- Choose a seat that suits your environment and purpose. Consider where you will use the seat, how often you will use it, and what you will use it for. For example, if you need a seat for work or school, you may want something more discreet and professional than if you need a seat for home or leisure.
- Choose a seat that matches your budget and preference. Compare different options based on their price, quality, durability, warranty, and customer reviews. Choose something that you like and can afford.
Some general tips for choosing the best ADHD Chair are:
- Try out different types of chairs before buying one
- Look for chairs that are adjustable, durable, easy to clean, and safe
- Consult with your doctor, therapist, teacher, or other professional who knows your needs
- Read reviews from other users who have similar experiences
Some questions you can ask yourself before buying an ADHD Chair are:
- What type of movement do I enjoy or need?
- How much space do I have for the chair?
- How often will I use the chair?
- How comfortable is the chair for me?
- How easy is it to adjust or clean the chair?
- How durable and safe is the chair?
- How does the chair look and fit in my space?
- What are the reviews and ratings of the chair?
Question: What are some of the best ADHD Chairs available?
Answer: Some of the most popular and highly rated ADHD Chairs include the Gravity Chair, Active Sitting Chair, Ergonomic Kneeling Chair, Saddle Seat Stool, Balance Ball Chair, and Wobble Cushion. These chairs vary in their features, prices, and suitability for different settings and preferences.
Question: What are some popular ADHD chair brands?
Answer: Some of the most popular and well-reviewed ADHD chair brands include:
- Focus Chair – Known for ergonomic design and adjustable resistance rocking.
- ADHD Learner Chair – Features a contoured seat, rocking, and tactile surfaces.
- Smart-Ball – Uses a stability ball instead of a chair for core engagement.
- ADHD Balance Ball Chair – Combines a stability ball with an adjustable frame.
- Mind Reader – Has a swivel base, adjustable resistance, and padded seat.
- Ergohuman – Offers a swivel base, adjustable height, and waterfall seat edge.
- Stokke Cruiser – Lightweight and portable with a rocking base. Best for younger kids.
Question: How to use an ADHD Chair effectively?
Answer: An ADHD Chair is not a magic bullet that will solve all your attention problems. You should use it as part of a comprehensive treatment plan that may include medication, therapy, coaching, and lifestyle changes. You should also follow the instructions and recommendations that come with your chair. Some general tips for using an ADHD Chair are to start slowly, adjust the intensity and duration of movement, take breaks as needed, and monitor your progress.
To use an ADHD chair effectively, you should follow some basic guidelines such as:
- Adjust the height and position of the chair to fit your body size and shape.
- Sit upright with your feet flat on the floor and your knees at a 90-degree angle.
- Keep your back straight and supported by the backrest or cushion.
- Avoid slouching or leaning forward too much.
- Move gently and periodically on the chair to stimulate your senses and relieve tension.
- Take breaks every 20 minutes or so to stretch your muscles and change your posture.
- Clean and maintain your chair regularly to prevent damage or wear.
Question: How to use an ADHD chair properly?
Answer: To use an ADHD chair properly, here are some tips to follow:
- Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer or seller. Read the manual carefully and assemble the seat correctly.
- Adjust the seat to your optimal height and position. Make sure your feet are flat on the floor or on a footrest, your knees are slightly lower than your hips, your back is supported by the backrest or aligned with your spine, and your arms are relaxed at your sides or on the armrests.
- Use the seat for short periods of time at first. Gradually increase the duration and frequency of use as you get used to the seat and its effects.
- Alternate between different types of seats or positions. Avoid sitting for too long in one place or posture. Move around, stretch, or stand up every 20 to 30 minutes to prevent stiffness, soreness, or fatigue.
- Monitor your body’s reactions and feedback. Pay attention to how you feel and perform while using the seat. If you experience any discomfort, pain, or negative effects, stop using the seat and consult a doctor or therapist.
Question: Are there any risks or drawbacks of using an ADHD Chair?
Answer: While using an ADHD Chair can have many benefits, there are also some potential risks or drawbacks that you should be aware of, such as:
- The chair may not be suitable or effective for everyone
- The chair may cause discomfort or injury if used incorrectly or excessively
- The chair may be distracting or disruptive for others in the same space
- The chair may require maintenance or replacement over time
- The chair may be expensive or hard to find
- Potential injury or damage. If the seat is not used properly or safely, it can cause injury to the person or damage to the furniture or floor. For example, if the seat is too high or low, it can strain the neck or back. If the seat is too unstable or slippery, it can cause falls or accidents.
- Possible discomfort or annoyance. If the seat is not comfortable or suitable for the person, it can cause discomfort or annoyance. For example, if the seat is too hard or soft, it can cause pressure points or numbness. If the seat is too noisy or distracting, it can interfere with concentration or communication.
- Potential dependence or overuse. If the seat is used too much or too often, it can cause dependence or overuse. For example, if the person relies on the seat to stay focused or calm, they may lose their ability to self-regulate without it. If the person uses the seat for too long or without breaks, they may develop bad habits or posture problems.
Question: How to use an ADHD Chair properly and safely?
Answer: To use an ADHD Chair properly and safely, you should follow these tips:
- Consult your doctor or therapist before using an ADHD Chair, especially if you have any medical conditions or injuries
- Choose an ADHD Chair that fits your size, weight, and needs
- Adjust the height, angle, and tension of the chair according to your comfort level
- Start slowly and gradually increase the duration and intensity of using the chair
- Take breaks and stretch regularly to avoid stiffness or soreness
- Listen to your body and stop using the chair if you feel any pain or discomfort
- Follow the instructions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer or seller of the chair
Question: How to clean and maintain an ADHD Chair?
Answer: To clean and maintain an ADHD Chair, you should follow these steps:
- Wipe the chair with a damp cloth or sponge to remove any dust or dirt
- Use a mild soap or detergent to clean any stains or spills on the chair
- Rinse the chair with water and dry it with a towel or air-dry it
- Clean the seat regularly. Wipe off any dust, dirt, stains, or spills with a damp cloth or a mild cleaner. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for washing or replacing any removable covers or parts.
- Check the seat periodically. Inspect the seat for any signs of wear and tear, such as cracks, holes, leaks, loose screws, broken springs, etc. Repair or replace any damaged components as soon as possible.
- Check the chair for any signs of wear and tear, such as cracks, holes, or loose parts
- Repair or replace any damaged or broken parts of the chair
- Store the chair in a cool, dry, and ventilated place when not in use
- Store the seat properly. Keep the seat in a cool, dry, and ventilated place when not in use. Avoid exposing the seat to direct sunlight, heat sources, moisture sources, sharp objects, pets, children, etc.
Question: Where can I buy an ADHD chair?
Answer: You can buy an ADHD chair from various online platforms such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart, or specialized websites that sell ergonomic furniture or products for people with ADHD. You can also buy an ADHD chair from local stores that sell office supplies, home decor, or medical equipment. You should always check the reviews and ratings of the seller and the product before making a purchase.
You can buy an ADHD Chair from various sources, such as:
- Online retailers or marketplaces, such as Amazon, eBay, or Walmart
- Specialty stores or websites that sell ergonomic or therapeutic products, such as Ergo Depot, Relax The Back, or SOAR Inc
- Local furniture or office supply stores that carry a range of chairs, such as IKEA, Staples, or Office Depot
- Second-hand or thrift shops that offer used or refurbished chairs at a lower price, such as Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Craigslist
You can buy an ADHD chair from various online or offline sources, such as:
- Amazon: A popular online marketplace that offers a wide range of products, including ADHD chairs, at competitive prices and with fast delivery.
- UnpackedReviews: A trusted online platform that provides unbiased and in-depth reviews of various products, including ADHD chairs, based on thousands of customer feedbacks.
- PurityReviews: A reliable online resource that provides helpful information and recommendations on various products, including ADHD chairs, based on expert opinions and research.
- YourDietConsultant: A professional online service that provides personalized diet and nutrition advice, as well as useful tips and guides on various topics, including ADHD chairs.
- VELA: A reputable company that specializes in designing and manufacturing ergonomic chairs for various needs and conditions, including ADHD.
Question: How much does an ADHD Chair cost?
Answer: The cost of an ADHD Chair varies depending on the type, brand, quality, and features of the chair. Generally speaking, an ADHD Chair can range from $50 to $500 or more. Some factors that can affect the price of an ADHD Chair are:
- The materials and craftsmanship of the chair
- The design and functionality of the chair
- The warranty and customer service of the seller
- The shipping and delivery fees of the order
- The availability and demand of the chair
ADHD chairs can range widely in price depending on the brand and specific features. In general, expect to pay:
- Basic rocking/swivel chairs: $100-200
- Mid-range chairs with more adjustments: $200-400
- High-end chairs with all features: $400-800
- Balance ball chairs: $150-300
- Chairs for younger kids: $100-200
The most affordable options will be basic rocking/swivel models without many customization options. Premium brands and chairs with the most adjustments tend to be pricier. Balance balls also drive up the cost versus traditional seats.
Question: Do rocking chairs help ADHD?
Answer: Research has shown that rocking chairs have proven benefits for those with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Studies indicate that the rhythmic motion of a rocking chair can help to increase focus and concentration, reduce anxiety levels, decrease hyperactivity, and improve overall motor skills. Rocking chairs can also create a soothing effect that can help with relaxation and sleep quality.
Question: What are sensory chairs?
Answer: Sensory chairs are a type of chairs that provide various forms of sensory stimulation to the person who sits on them. Sensory chairs can help children and adults with ADHD, autism, other neurological conditions, and even neurotypical people to focus while working or studying. Sensory chairs may wobble or rock, spin, and/or provide compression or feedback to the user.
Question: Can an ADHD chair help adults too?
Answer: Yes, ADHD chairs can provide benefits for adults as well as children. While many associate ADHD with childhood, it often persists into adulthood. Adults with ADHD may experience the same focus and fidget control issues. An ADHD-friendly chair can make it easier to concentrate at work, study, complete tasks at home, etc. Features like adjustable resistance and movement allow adults to customize the chair to their needs and activity level. Many popular brands also offer styles designed specifically for adult bodies and work/office environments. So ADHD chairs are absolutely worth considering for adults seeking to improve their ability to focus and feel less restless.
Question: Can an ADHD chair replace other forms of treatment for ADHD?
Answer: ADHD chairs are not meant to replace other forms of treatment for ADHD, such as therapy or medication. They are designed to complement existing treatment plans and provide additional support for individuals with ADHD. It is important to consult with healthcare professionals or therapists to determine the most appropriate treatment approach for managing ADHD symptoms.
Question: Are ADHD chairs covered by insurance?
Answer: The coverage of ADHD chairs by insurance can vary depending on the specific insurance provider and policy. In some cases, insurance plans may cover the cost of an ADHD chair if it is deemed medically necessary and prescribed by a healthcare professional. However, coverage policies can differ, and it’s important to check with your insurance provider to determine if an ADHD chair is eligible for reimbursement or coverage.
Question: Do health insurance or special needs programs cover ADHD chairs?
Answer: Sometimes ADHD chairs may be covered by health insurance or special needs programs, though coverage varies greatly depending on the policy and program. Here are some potential options to explore:
- Medical insurance – Some plans will cover chairs prescribed by a doctor as a medical necessity for treating ADHD symptoms.
- Flexible spending accounts – Pre-tax dollars in an FSA can be used to purchase an ADHD chair.
- Special education funding – For students, chairs may be covered as an educational support through an IEP or 504 plan.
- Vocational rehabilitation – Adults with disabilities may qualify for funding assistance.
- Grants for people with disabilities – Organizations provide limited grants for assistive devices.
- Medicaid – In rare cases, Medicaid may cover chairs for eligible low-income individuals.
It’s best to contact your insurance provider, school, regional support programs to see if an ADHD chair purchase could potentially be reimbursed or funded as a medical/educational support device.
Question: Can ADHD chairs be used in classrooms?
Answer: Yes, ADHD chairs can be used in classrooms to provide additional support and comfort for students with ADHD or those who struggle with sitting still for extended periods. Many educational institutions have started incorporating ADHD chairs into their classrooms as part of creating a more inclusive and accommodating learning environment.
Question: Can an ADHD chair be used in classrooms or work environments?
Answer: Yes, ADHD chairs are designed to be versatile and can be used in various settings, including classrooms and work environments. In classrooms, these chairs can provide students with ADHD a supportive and comfortable seating option that helps them stay engaged and focused during lessons. In work environments, individuals with ADHD can benefit from the enhanced focus and productivity that an ADHD chair offers. However, it’s important to note that the suitability of these chairs in specific settings may vary, and it’s recommended to consider the needs and preferences of the individual users.
Question: Are there any alternative seating options for individuals with ADHD?
Answer: Yes, there are alternative seating options that can benefit individuals with ADHD. Some alternatives include stability balls, wobble cushions, kneeling chairs, and standing desks. These options provide different levels of movement and sensory input, allowing individuals to find a seating solution that suits their needs and preferences. It’s recommended to try out different options to determine which alternative seating option works best for each individual.
Question : Can an ADHD chair cure ADHD?
Answer: No, an ADHD chair cannot cure ADHD. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder that requires a comprehensive treatment approach involving various interventions such as medication, therapy, and behavioral strategies. An ADHD chair can be a helpful tool in managing symptoms and improving focus and comfort while sitting, but it should be used as part of a broader treatment plan. It’s important to consult with healthcare professionals for a comprehensive evaluation and personalized treatment approach for ADHD.
Question: Do ADHD chairs really work?
Answer: While ADHD chairs alone are not a cure for ADHD, multiple studies and reviews indicate that they can provide significant benefits for concentration, focus and behavior in individuals with ADHD when used regularly. However, other treatment options like medication and behavioral therapy are also often needed alongside the chair to maximize effectiveness.
Question: Can normal chairs be modified for ADHD?
Answer: While specialized ADHD chairs are designed from the ground up to optimize focus, normal chairs can be modified for ADHD in some ways:
- Add Move N Sit disc or cushion for gentle rocking.
- Attach a distraction tube, stress ball or other fidget aid.
- Use a footrest or ottoman to provide comfort and proper posture.Recline the chair slightly.
- Change the seat height to a more focused position.
Question: What are some other ways to help children with ADHD focus and stay still?
Answer: There are a number of other ways to help children with ADHD focus and stay still, including:
- Music therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
It is important to work with your child’s doctor or therapist to develop a treatment plan that is right for them.