Magnetic power banks are external batteries designed to magnetically attach to smartphones. Magnetic power banks are external batteries designed to magnetically attach to smartphones. (Specifically, these power banks are designed for iPhones because of their MagSafe capability.)
In fact, another name for this product is: “MagSafe power bank”.
Interest in these power banks initially gained traction when Apple launched their MagSafe battery pack nearly two years ago.
Since then, several startups have rushed to launch similar power banks (either designed with more features or at lower prices).
One highly-rated magnetic power bank generates approximately $55K/month on Amazon.
Magnetic power banks are part of the Feature-Plus Power Banks meta trend.
Power banks are getting redesigned with a number of new features to improve their usability.
For example, Solar power banks have external batteries with embedded small solar panels that are used to charge the power banks. And durable power banks are in-demand because they’re built with a hard casing that resists damage when dropped.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Question: What is a magnetic power bank?
Answer: Magnetic power banks are typically wireless in a sense that you won’t need any cable to charge your phone. These devices come with magnetic rings to allow them to attach and hold to your phone, during the entire charging process. Because of this, magnetic power banks can accurately charge your phone. It is compatible with MagSafe technology, which is available on iPhone 12 and later models. Magnetic power banks offer a convenient and portable way to charge your phone without cables or plugs.
Question: How does a magnetic power bank work?
Answer: Magnetic power banks work by using magnetic rings that allow them to attach and hold onto your phone during the entire charging process. A magnetic power bank works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from the battery pack to the phone. The battery pack has a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when current flows through it. The phone has another coil of wire that receives the magnetic field and converts it back to current. The current then charges the phone’s battery. This means that you won’t need any cables to charge your phone. The magnetic rings are designed to be compatible with your phone’s MagSafe technology.
Question: What is MagSafe technology?
Answer: MagSafe technology is a wireless charging system that uses magnets to align your phone with the charging pad. This allows for faster and more efficient charging than traditional wireless charging methods.
Question: Can the power bank itself be charged via MagSafe or any other wireless method?
Answer: The charging method for a power bank itself can vary by model. Some may be able to charge wirelessly via connections such as MagSafe, while others may require cable charging through ports like USB-C. It’s best to check the specific product details for this information.
Question: How long does it take for a magnetic power bank to charge?
Answer: The charging time for a magnetic power bank will depend on the capacity of the battery and the charging speed of your phone. Generally, it takes around 2-3 hours for a magnetic power bank to fully charge.
Question: How long does a magnetic power bank last?
Answer: The lifespan of a magnetic power bank will depend on the quality of the battery and how often it is used. Generally, a good quality magnetic power bank should last for several years. The longevity of a magnetic power bank depends on several factors, such as its capacity, quality, usage frequency and environmental conditions. Generally speaking, a magnetic power bank can last for several years if used properly and maintained well. However, some signs of aging and deterioration may occur over time, such as:
- Reduced charging speed and efficiency
- Reduced battery life and performance
- Reduced magnet strength and alignment
- Increased heat generation and risk of damage
To extend the lifespan of your magnetic power bank, you should follow some tips such as:
- Avoid overcharging or undercharging your power bank
- Avoid exposing your power bank to extreme temperatures or moisture
- Avoid dropping or scratching your power bank
- Store your power bank in a cool and dry place when not in use.
Question: What is the life cycle of a Magnetic Power bank?
Answer: The life cycle of a Magnetic Power bank typically depends on its usage frequency and overall battery quality. However, most power banks are designed to support hundreds, if not thousands of charge cycles.
Question: Can I use a magnetic power bank with any phone?
Answer: No, you cannot use a magnetic power bank with any phone. Magnetic power banks are designed to be compatible with phones that have MagSafe technology.
Question: Are Magnetic Power Banks compatible with all phones?
Answer: Magnetic power banks are compatible with phones that support magnetic charging. This includes the iPhone 12 and newer models, as well as some Android phones. However, it’s always best to check the compatibility before purchasing.
Question: Can I use a magnetic power bank on non-magnetic devices?
Answer: Magnetic power banks are primarily designed for devices that support magnetic charging. If you have a non-magnetic device, you may still be able to use a magnetic power bank by using an adapter or a magnetic connector that attaches to the device’s charging port. However, it’s important to ensure the compatibility of such adapters or connectors with your specific device.
Question: What is the capacity of a typical magnetic power bank?
Answer: The capacity of a typical magnetic power bank can range from 5000mAh to 10000mAh.
Question: How long can a Magnetic Power Bank hold its charge?
Answer: The length of time a magnetic power bank can hold its charge depends on its capacity and how it’s used. Generally, a fully charged power bank can hold its charge for several days to a week when not in use.
Question: How do I know when my Magnetic Power Bank is fully charged?
Answer: Most magnetic power banks have LED indicators that show the charging status. When all the LEDs are lit, it usually means that the power bank is fully charged. However, the specific indicators can vary between different models, so it’s best to refer to the user manual for accurate information.
Question: How many devices can I charge with a magnetic power bank?
Answer: The number of devices you can charge with a magnetic power bank will depend on the capacity of the battery and the charging speed of your phone. Generally, you can charge one or two devices at once.
Question: Can a Magnetic Power Bank charge multiple devices at once?
Answer: Some magnetic power banks can charge multiple devices at once if they have multiple output ports. However, the charging speed may be divided among the devices, resulting in slower charging times.
Question: What are the benefits of using a magnetic power bank?
Answer: Some of the benefits of using a magnetic power bank are:
- It is easy to use. You just need to align the battery pack with the back of your phone and let the magnets snap into place.
- It is safe and reliable. You don’t have to worry about compatibility issues, overheating, or short circuits.
- It is compact and lightweight. You can carry it around in your pocket or bag without adding much bulk or weight.
- It is versatile. You can use it as a stand for your phone, or attach other accessories like cases, wallets, or car mounts.
- It eliminates the hassle of carrying and plugging in a cable.
- It ensures a stable and secure connection between the power bank and the phone.
- It delivers fast and efficient wireless charging, up to 15W for MagSafe compatible devices.
- It allows you to use your phone normally while charging, without any obstruction or interference.
- Convenience: The user can easily attach and detach the power bank from the phone without using a cable or a plug.
- Mobility: The user can carry the power bank and the phone together as one unit without worrying about tangling wires or finding an outlet.
- Protection: The power bank can also act as a protective case for the phone, preventing scratches and damage from drops or bumps.
- Compatibility: The power bank can work with any smartphone that supports wireless charging and has a metal back or a magnetic case.
Question: What are the drawbacks of using a magnetic power bank?
Answer: Some of the drawbacks of using a magnetic power bank are:
- It is slower than wired charging. The wireless charging efficiency is lower than the wired charging efficiency, so it takes longer to fully charge your phone.
- It is more expensive than wired charging. Magnetic power banks are usually more costly than regular power banks, and you may also need to buy a compatible phone or case.
- It is less stable than wired charging. The magnetic connection may be disrupted by movements, bumps, or metal objects.
- It has lower capacity and slower charging speed than wired power banks.
- It may interfere with credit cards or key fobs if placed near them.
- It may not work well with thick or metal phone cases.
- It is less compatible, as it only works with certain models of smartphones that support magnetic wireless charging.
- Weight: The power bank can add extra weight and bulk to the phone, making it less comfortable to hold or fit in a pocket.
- Heat: The power bank can generate heat during charging, which can affect the performance and lifespan of the battery and the phone.
- Efficiency: The power bank can lose some energy during wireless charging, which can reduce the charging speed and capacity compared to wired charging.
- Interference: The power bank can interfere with some functions of the phone, such as NFC, GPS, or compass, due to the magnets and the metal.
Question: How do I choose the right magnetic power bank for my needs?
Answer: When choosing a magnetic power bank, you should consider factors such as capacity, compatibility with your phone’s MagSafe technology, charging speed, and safety features.
Question: How do I choose the best magnetic power bank for my phone?
Answer: There are several factors to consider when choosing the best magnetic power bank for your phone, such as:
- Capacity: This refers to how much power the power bank can store and deliver to your phone. It is measured in milliampere-hours (mAh). The higher the capacity, the more times you can charge your phone with one full charge of the power bank. However, higher capacity also means larger size and weight.
- Output: The output of the power bank is measured in watts (W), which indicates how fast it can charge the phone. A higher output means faster charging, but also more heat and energy loss.
- The compatibility: The compatibility of a power bank depends on whether it supports Qi wireless charging or MagSafe wireless charging. Qi wireless charging is a universal standard that works with most smartphones that have wireless charging capability. MagSafe wireless charging is an exclusive feature of iPhone 12 and later models that allows faster and more secure magnetic charging. You should choose a compatibility that matches your phone’s model and preference.
- Charging speed: This refers to how fast the power bank can charge your phone. It is measured in watts (W). The higher the wattage, the faster the charging speed. However, higher wattage also means more heat generation and battery consumption.
- Size and weight: This refers to how big and heavy the power bank is. The smaller and lighter the power bank, the easier it is to carry around. However, smaller size and weight also mean lower capacity and charging speed.
- Design: This refers to how the power bank looks and feels. The design may affect the aesthetics, durability, ergonomics, and functionality of the power bank. You may prefer a design that matches your phone, has a good grip, has a LED indicator, or has a built-in stand.
- Alignment: The power bank should have strong magnets that align with the phone’s wireless charging coil and keep it securely in place.
- Shape: The power bank should have a similar shape and size as the phone, so that it does not cover the camera, speakers, or buttons.
- Material: The power bank should have a durable and smooth material that does not scratch or damage the phone or the user’s skin.
- Color: The power bank should have a color that matches or complements the phone’s color.
- Price: This refers to how much the power bank costs. The price may vary depending on the brand, quality, features, and performance of the power bank. You may want to compare different models and find the best value for your money.
Question: What are some of the best magnetic power banks on the market?
Answer: The best magnetic power bank depends on your preferences and needs. Some factors to consider are capacity, charging speed, size, weight, design, price, and compatibility. According to ZDNET, the best MagSafe battery pack overall is the myCharge MagLock Magnetic Powerbank, which has a unique design that prevents overheating, a built-in speaker that signals charge level and connection, and a USB-C port for charging another device. Other popular options are the Apple MagSafe Battery Pack, which has native integration with iOS and a compact design, and the Belkin BPD002bt BoostCharge Magnetic Wireless Power Bank, which has a fast charging speed of up to 7.5W and a LED indicator for battery level.
Some of the best magnetic power banks on the market are:
- Apple MagSafe Battery Pack: This is the official battery pack from Apple that offers native integration with your iPhone. It has a capacity of 1460mAh and a charging speed of up to 15W. It also supports reverse wireless charging and smart battery management.
- Anker PowerCore Magnetic 5K: This is a budget-friendly battery pack from Anker that offers reliable performance and quality. It has a capacity of 5000mAh and a charging speed of up to 7.5W. It also supports pass-through charging and has an LED ring indicator.
- myCharge MagLock Magnetic Powerbank: This is a unique battery pack from myCharge that offers comprehensive functionality and efficiency. It has a capacity of up to 9000mAh and a charging speed of up to 15W. It also has a USB-C port, a built-in speaker, and a raised design that prevents overheating.
- Mophie Snap+ Juice Pack Mini: This is a versatile and powerful option from Mophie that works with any smartphone that has a Snap+ adapter. It has a capacity of 5000 mAh, an output of 7.5W, and a stylish fabric design. It also has a built-in kickstand and a USB-C port for wired charging.
Question: How do I use a magnetic power bank with my phone?
Answer: To use a magnetic power bank, you need to have a phone that supports MagSafe technology, such as iPhone 12 and above models. You also need to make sure that your phone case is compatible with MagSafe, or remove it if it is not. Then, you simply align the magnets on the back of the power bank with the magnets on the back of your phone, and they will snap together. The power bank will automatically start charging your phone wirelessly. You can also check the battery level of the power bank on your phone screen or by pressing a button on some models.
To use a magnetic power bank with your phone, you need to follow these steps:
- Make sure your phone and battery pack are compatible with MagSafe technology.
- Make sure your phone and battery pack are charged enough for wireless charging.
- Make sure your phone and your power bank are both charged and turned on.
- Remove any metal objects or thick cases from your phone or battery pack.
- Align the battery pack with the back of your phone and let the magnets attach securely.
- Feel the snap or hear the click when the magnets connect and start charging.
- Wait for your phone to display the charging status and battery level.
- Check the battery level indicator on your phone or your power bank to monitor the charging progress.
- Detach the power bank from your phone when you are done charging or need to move.
Question: How to use a magnetic power bank safely?
Answer: Some of the tips to use a magnetic power bank safely are:
- Avoid placing metal objects near the power bank or the phone, as they can interfere with the charging or damage the devices.
- Avoid exposing the power bank or the phone to extreme temperatures, humidity, or water, as they can affect the battery performance or cause fire or explosion.
- Avoid dropping or hitting the power bank or the phone, as they can damage
the internal components or cause short circuits.
- Avoid using low-quality or incompatible power banks or chargers, as they can harm
the battery life or cause overheating or overcharging.
Question: How do I charge a magnetic power bank?
Answer: To charge a magnetic power bank, you need to use a cable that matches the charging port of the power bank. Most magnetic power banks have a USB-C port, but some may have other types of ports. You can plug the cable into a wall adapter, a computer, or another power source. Some magnetic power banks also support wireless charging, which means you can place them on a wireless charger or another MagSafe device to charge them.
Question: How do I take care of my magnetic power bank?
Answer: To take care of your magnetic power bank, you need to follow these tips:
- Store your battery pack in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight, heat sources, or moisture.
- Avoid dropping, crushing, puncturing, or exposing your battery pack to fire, water, or corrosive substances.
- Clean your battery pack with a soft cloth and avoid using abrasive materials or liquids.
- Dispose of your battery pack properly when it reaches the end of its life cycle.
Question: How do I maintain a magnetic power bank?
Answer: To maintain a magnetic power bank, you need to follow some tips such as:
- Charge the power bank regularly and avoid overcharging or undercharging it.
- Store the power bank in a cool and dry place and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or humidity.
- Clean the power bank with a soft cloth and avoid using water or chemicals.
- Keep the power bank away from metal objects or magnetic fields that may damage it.
- Dispose of the power bank properly when it is no longer usable.
Question: How do I properly maintain a magnetic power bank?
Answer: To properly maintain a magnetic power bank, follow these guidelines:
- Keep it clean and free from dust and debris.
- Avoid exposing the power bank to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
- Store it in a cool and dry place when not in use.
- Use the provided magnetic attachments or adapters carefully to avoid damage.
- Regularly check for any signs of wear or damage and replace if necessary.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging and discharging cycles.
- If the power bank has removable magnetic modules, ensure they are securely attached before use.
- Avoid dropping or subjecting the power bank to impact.
- Disconnect the power bank from devices once they are fully charged.
- If you encounter any issues or concerns, contact the manufacturer’s customer support for assistance.
Question: Can Magnetic Power Banks damage my phone?
Answer: No, magnetic power banks are designed to be safe for use with phones and other devices. They have built-in safeguards to prevent overcharging or overheating. However, it’s always important to use them as directed by the manufacturer.
Question: Can I take a Magnetic Power Bank on a plane?
Answer: Yes, you can take a magnetic power bank on a plane. However, there are restrictions on the capacity of power banks that can be carried in hand luggage. It’s always best to check with your airline before traveling. Magnetic power banks are generally allowed on airplanes, but there may be certain restrictions and guidelines imposed by airlines and aviation authorities. It’s advisable to check with the specific airline you are traveling with to ensure compliance with their policies. In general, power banks carried in hand luggage should have a capacity within the limit specified by the airline, and it’s recommended to keep them in your carry-on bag for easy access during security checks.
Question: Are there any safety concerns when using a magnetic power bank?
Answer: Yes, there are some safety concerns when using a magnetic power bank. You should always use a high-quality product from a reputable manufacturer and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
Question: Are magnetic power banks safe for my phone and health?
Answer: Magnetic power banks are generally safe to use, as they have built-in protection mechanisms that prevent overcharging, overheating, short-circuiting, or exploding. However, you still need to use them with caution and follow the instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturer. You also need to avoid placing them near credit cards or key fobs that may be affected by the magnets. If you notice any signs of damage or malfunction, stop using the power bank immediately and contact the seller or service center. However, there are some potential risks and precautions to be aware of, such as:
- Magnetic interference: The magnets in the battery pack may interfere with the functionality of some devices or accessories, such as credit cards, key fobs, pacemakers, or headphones. You should keep them away from the battery pack or use a shielded case.
- Overheating: The wireless charging process may generate heat that can damage your phone or battery pack. You should avoid using your phone or battery pack in high temperatures or direct sunlight. You should also stop charging if you notice any signs of overheating, such as swelling, smoking, or burning.
- Radiation: The wireless charging process may emit electromagnetic radiation that can affect your health. You should avoid placing your phone or battery pack near your head, chest, or abdomen. You should also limit your exposure time and distance.
Question: How to troubleshoot a magnetic power bank?
Answer: A magnetic power bank may encounter some problems or issues during its use, such as:
- Not charging or charging slowly
- Not connecting or disconnecting randomly
- Overheating or sparking
- Damaging the phone or the case
To troubleshoot a magnetic power bank, you can try some solutions such as:
- Check the battery level of your power bank and your phone, and recharge them if needed.
- Check the alignment of your power bank and your phone, and adjust them if needed.
- Check the surface of your power bank and your phone, and clean them if dirty or dusty.
- Check the case of your phone, and remove it if too thick or metal.
- Check the temperature of your power bank and your phone, and cool them down if too hot.
- Check the warranty of your power bank and your phone, and contact the manufacturer or seller if defective.
Some of the common problems and solutions for a magnetic power bank are:
- The power bank does not charge the phone: Check if the power bank and the phone are properly aligned and attached, if the power bank has enough battery, if the phone supports wireless charging, if there is any metal object or dirt between the power bank and the phone, or if the power bank or the phone is damaged or defective.
- The power bank does not charge itself: Check if the power bank is connected to a power source, if the power bank’s charging port or cable is damaged or dirty, or if the power bank is overheated or overcharged.
- The power bank charges slowly or incompletely: Check if the power bank and the phone have compatible output and input ratings, if the power bank or the phone is too hot or cold, or if there is any interference or obstruction from other devices or signals.
- The power bank makes noise or smells bad: Stop using the power bank immediately and disconnect it from the phone and the power source, as it may indicate a serious problem such as a short circuit, a leakage, or a fire.
Question: How to compare a magnetic power bank with other types of power banks?
Answer: A magnetic power bank can be compared with other types of power banks based on some criteria such as:
- Charging method: A magnetic power bank charges wirelessly using magnets, while a wired power bank charges using a cable, and a non-magnetic wireless power bank charges using a pad or a stand.
- Charging speed: A magnetic power bank charges faster than a non-magnetic wireless power bank, but slower than a wired power bank.
- Charging convenience: A magnetic power bank is more convenient than a wired power bank, as it does not require any cable, but less convenient than a non-magnetic wireless power bank, as it requires alignment.
- Charging compatibility: A magnetic power bank is less compatible than a wired or non-magnetic wireless power bank, as it only works with certain models of smartphones that support magnetic wireless charging.
Question: How to dispose of a magnetic power bank?
Answer: A magnetic power bank contains batteries and magnets that can be harmful to the environment and human health if disposed of improperly. You should not throw away your magnetic power bank in the regular trash or recycling bin. Instead, you should follow these steps:
- Find a local collection point or program that accepts electronic waste or batteries for recycling or disposal. You can search online or contact your municipal authority for more information.
- Remove any accessories or attachments from your power bank, such as cables or cases.
- Pack your power bank in a secure and insulated container or bag to prevent any leakage or fire hazard.
- Label your container or bag clearly as “electronic waste” or “batteries”.
- Deliver your container or bag to the designated collection point or program.
Question: Where can I buy a magnetic power bank?
Answer: You can buy a magnetic power bank from various online or offline platforms, such as:
- Official websites or stores of the brands that produce magnetic power banks, such as Apple, Anker, Belkin, etc.
- Online marketplaces or e-commerce platforms that sell electronic products, such as Amazon, Shopee, Lazada, etc.
- Physical stores or outlets that sell electronic products, such as Best Buy, Harvey Norman, Courts, etc.
Question: Where to buy a magnetic power bank?
Answer: A magnetic power bank is not as widely available as a wired or non-magnetic wireless power bank, but you can still find it in some places. You can either:
- Buy it online: A magnetic power bank can be purchased online from various websites that sell electronic gadgets, such as Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc. You can compare different brands and prices, and read customer reviews before buying. However, you may have to pay for shipping and delivery fees, and wait for a few days before receiving your order.
- Buy it in store: A magnetic power bank can also be found in some physical stores that sell electronic gadgets, such as Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc. You can check the availability and location of the stores near you on their websites or by calling them. However, you may have a limited selection of brands and sizes, and pay a higher price than online.
Question: What are some of the latest trends and innovations in magnetic power banks?
Answer: Some of the latest trends and innovations in magnetic power banks are:
- Higher capacity and output: Magnetic power banks are becoming more capable of storing more energy and delivering it faster, allowing users to charge their phones multiple times or in less time.
- Smarter features and functions: Magnetic power banks are becoming more intelligent and convenient, offering features such as reverse wireless charging, smart battery management, wireless data transfer, or voice control.
- More compatibility and customization: Magnetic power banks are becoming more adaptable and flexible, working with different types of smartphones and cases, or allowing users to personalize their appearance and performance.
Question: What are some of the future trends and developments for magnetic power banks?
Answer: Some of the future trends and developments for magnetic power banks are:
- Higher capacity and charging speed: Magnetic power banks may improve their capacity and charging speed by using more advanced batteries, coils, or chips. This may allow them to charge multiple devices at once or charge faster than wired chargers.
- Smaller size and weight: Magnetic power banks may reduce their size and weight by using more compact materials, designs, or technologies. This may allow them to be more portable, convenient, or discreet.
- More features and functions: Magnetic power banks may add more features and functions to enhance their usability, versatility, or value. This may include things like wireless data transfer, smart controls, LED lights, speakers, cameras, or sensors.