Shilajit is a sticky resin extracted from rocks found in the Himalayas. Shilajit powder is a type of dietary supplement that is derived from a resin found in the Himalayas. With benefits like improved energy, enhanced cognitive function, and reduced inflammation, shilajit powder is commonly used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine as a natural remedy for a variety of health issues.
Shilajit is rich in the antioxidant compound fulvic acid, which may help improve mental acuity and reduce stress.
This supplement’s popularity has grown largely thanks to TikTok.
In fact, videos about shilajit powder have over 4.3 billion views on the platform.
One popular pack of shilajit powder generates approximately $7K/month on Amazon.
Shilajit powder is part of the Stress Supplements meta trend.
Approximately 25% of US adults say they are so stressed that they cannot function properly.
Inflation (83%), crime (75%) and political climate (66%) are some of the most cited stressors.
Which is why we’re seeing growing interest in natural products that provide stress relief.
(Searches for “stress relief supplements” have increased by 60% over the past two years).
According to Clear Cut analytics, sales of stress relief supplements are growing by 31% YoY. This makes stress relief the fastest-growing global food supplement category.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Question: What is Shilajit Powder?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is a natural substance that is formed over centuries from the decomposition of plant material in the Himalayan mountains. It is a sticky, tar-like substance that contains a rich blend of minerals, trace elements, fulvic acid, and other bioactive compounds. Shilajit Powder is known for its potential health benefits and has been used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine for centuries.
Question: How is Shilajit Powder obtained?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is obtained through a meticulous process. It is collected from the rocks in the Himalayan mountains, where it oozes out due to the warmth of the sun. The raw Shilajit is then purified and processed to remove impurities and ensure its safety for consumption. Finally, it is carefully dried and ground into a fine powder, which is then packaged and made available for use.
Question: How to choose the best shilajit powder?
Answer: Shilajit powder comes in different grades, qualities, and forms, depending on the source, extraction method, processing, and packaging. To choose the best shilajit powder, you should look for the following features:
- The shilajit powder should be pure, authentic, and lab-tested for quality and safety.
- The shilajit powder should be organic, wild-crafted, and sustainably harvested from high-altitude regions.
- The shilajit powder should be extracted using a gentle and natural method that preserves its potency and bioavailability.
- The shilajit powder should be free of additives, fillers, preservatives, colors, flavors, or any other artificial ingredients.
- The shilajit powder should be stored in a dark, cool, and dry place in an airtight container to prevent oxidation and contamination.
- The shilajit powder should have a dark brown or black color, a bitter taste, a strong earthy smell, and a sticky texture when wet.
Not all shilajit powders are created equal. There are many factors that affect the quality and purity of shilajit powder, such as:
- The source and origin of the raw shilajit. The best quality shilajit comes from high-altitude regions, such as the Himalayas, where the environment is pristine and unpolluted.
- The extraction and processing method of the shilajit resin. The best quality shilajit is extracted using pure water and filtered without any chemicals or additives. The resin is then dried and ground into a fine powder without any heat or exposure to sunlight.
- The testing and certification of the shilajit powder. The best quality shilajit is tested by independent laboratories for its potency, purity, and safety. The product should have a certificate of analysis (COA) that shows the amount of fulvic acid, humic acid, and other minerals and compounds in it. The product should also be free of contaminants, such as heavy metals, pesticides, microbes, or adulterants.
Therefore, it is important to do some research and compare different brands and products before buying shilajit powder. Look for reputable and trustworthy companies that provide clear and accurate information about their products on their websites or labels. Read customer reviews and testimonials to get an idea of the quality and effectiveness of the products. Avoid cheap and low-quality products that may have little or no benefits and may even cause harm to your health.
Question: How to test the quality of shilajit powder?
Answer: There are some simple ways to test the quality of shilajit powder at home. These include:
- Dissolve a small amount of shilajit powder in warm water. The shilajit powder should dissolve completely without leaving any residue or sediment. If the water becomes cloudy or murky, or if there are any particles or impurities in it, the shilajit powder is likely adulterated or low-quality.
- Heat a small amount of shilajit powder on a metal spoon over a flame. The shilajit powder should melt and bubble without burning or producing any smoke or odor. If the shilajit powder burns, smokes, or smells bad, it is likely fake or contaminated.
- Freeze a small amount of shilajit powder in a freezer for a few hours. The shilajit powder should become hard and brittle without losing its color or texture. If the shilajit powder becomes soft, sticky, or gooey, it is likely diluted or mixed with other substances.
These tests are not foolproof and may not detect all types of adulteration or contamination. Therefore, it is always better to buy shilajit powder from a reputable and trusted source that provides lab reports and certificates of analysis.
Question: What are the benefits of consuming Shilajit Powder?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is believed to offer a range of potential health benefits. Some of the benefits associated with its consumption include:
- Boosting energy levels and reducing fatigue
- Supporting healthy aging and promoting longevity
- Enhancing cognitive function and mental clarity
- Supporting the immune system
- Promoting healthy bones and joints
- Enhancing fertility and reproductive health
- Supporting detoxification and aiding in the elimination of toxins from the body
- Boosting the body’s natural antioxidant defenses
- It may improve brain function and prevent cognitive decline by preventing the accumulation of tau protein, which is associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
- It may boost testosterone levels and enhance male fertility by increasing sperm count and motility.
- It may help treat anemia by providing iron and other blood-building nutrients.
- It may have antiviral properties and help fight off infections by stimulating the immune system.
- It may reduce chronic fatigue syndrome by improving mitochondrial function and energy production.
- It may slow down the aging process by acting as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent, reducing oxidative stress and cellular damage.
- It may support bone health and prevent osteoporosis by increasing calcium absorption and bone mineral density.
- It may improve heart health and lower blood pressure by regulating cholesterol levels and preventing lipid peroxidation.
- It may enhance mood and reduce stress by modulating neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine.
- It may support digestive health and prevent ulcers by protecting the gastric mucosa and enhancing nutrient absorption.
Question: What are the benefits of shilajit powder for the brain?
Answer: Shilajit powder may help boost brain function by preventing the accumulation of tau protein, which is associated with cognitive disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease. The fulvic acid in shilajit powder is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound that may protect the brain cells from damage and inflammation .
Question: What are the benefits of shilajit powder for aging?
Answer: Shilajit powder may help slow the aging process by reducing free radicals and cellular damage in the body, which are two key factors in aging. Shilajit powder may also increase the production of collagen and elastin, which are essential for skin health and elasticity. Shilajit powder may also enhance the function of mitochondria, which are the energy-producing units of the cells .
Question: What are the benefits of shilajit powder for anemia?
Answer: Shilajit powder may help treat iron deficiency anemia, which is a condition where the blood does not have enough healthy red blood cells or hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the protein that carries oxygen to the tissues. Shilajit powder contains high levels of humic acid and iron, which may help increase the hemoglobin level and improve the symptoms of anemia, such as fatigue, weakness, cold hands and feet, and headache .
Question: What are the benefits of shilajit powder for antiviral activity?
Answer: Shilajit powder may have antiviral properties, meaning that it can fight off and kill some viruses. A research study found that shilajit powder could inhibit the growth of some herpes viruses in isolated environments. However, more studies are needed to confirm its effectiveness in humans and against other types of viruses.
Question: What are the benefits of shilajit powder for chronic fatigue syndrome?
Answer: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a condition that causes extreme tiredness or fatigue that does not improve with rest. CFS may be linked to mitochondrial dysfunction, which means that the cells do not produce enough energy. Shilajit powder may help reduce the symptoms of CFS by improving mitochondrial function and preventing oxidative stress. A study found that shilajit powder helped reduce the effects of CFS in rats by increasing their endurance and reducing their anxiety.
Question: What are the benefits of shilajit powder for heart health?
Answer: Shilajit powder may have cardio-protective effects, meaning that it can protect the heart from damage and disease. Shilajit powder may lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides, which are risk factors for heart disease. Shilajit powder may also prevent or reduce cardiac arrhythmias, which are irregular heartbeats that can lead to stroke or heart failure.
Question: Is Shilajit Powder safe for long-term use?
Answer: Yes, Shilajit Powder is generally considered safe for long-term use, but it is important to follow the recommended dosage and consult a healthcare professional periodically to monitor your health status and adjust the dosage as needed.
Question: Can Shilajit Powder help with weight loss?
Answer: Yes, Shilajit Powder can help with weight loss by improving digestion, increasing energy levels, and supporting the metabolism. It can also help reduce cravings and improve mood, which can lead to healthier eating habits and lifestyle choices. However, it is important to note that Shilajit Powder is not a magic pill for weight loss and should be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Question: Can Shilajit powder help with boosting energy levels?
Answer: Shilajit powder is often used to support energy levels and combat fatigue. It contains fulvic acid, which is believed to enhance the production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) in the body, a molecule that provides energy to cells. By supporting ATP production, Shilajit powder may help improve energy levels and combat general fatigue. However, it’s important to note that individual responses may vary, and other lifestyle factors such as diet, exercise, and sleep patterns also play a significant role in maintaining energy levels.
Question: Can Shilajit powder help with cognitive function and memory?
Answer: Shilajit powder has been traditionally used to support cognitive function and memory enhancement. It contains bioactive compounds that may help protect brain cells from oxidative stress and promote healthy brain function. Additionally, Shilajit powder is believed to enhance the production of certain neurotransmitters that are involved in cognitive processes. While research in this area is still ongoing, some studies suggest that Shilajit powder may have potential benefits for cognitive function and memory. However, more research is needed to fully understand its mechanisms and effectiveness.
Question: Can Shilajit powder be used to support the immune system?
Answer: Shilajit powder is believed to possess immune-modulating properties, which means it may help support a healthy immune system. It contains bioactive compounds that can potentially enhance immune responses and provide antioxidant support. However, it’s important to note that Shilajit powder should not be used as a substitute for medical treatment or to prevent or treat specific illnesses. It is always recommended to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice on supporting your immune system.
Question: Can Shilajit powder improve fertility?
Answer: Yes, there is some evidence that Shilajit powder may help improve fertility in both men and women. Its high mineral content supports reproductive health. In Ayurveda, Shilajit is considered a rasayana herb known to enhance libido, sperm count and motility in men. It may also help balance female hormones and improve egg quality by reducing stress. Combined with a healthy lifestyle, Shilajit shows promise for enhancing fertility naturally but consult a practitioner before medical issues.
Question: Can Shilajit Powder be used for detoxification?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is often considered beneficial for detoxification due to its high mineral content and antioxidant properties. It is believed to support the body’s natural detoxification processes and help eliminate toxins. The fulvic acid found in Shilajit Powder is thought to enhance nutrient absorption and assist in the removal of waste products from cells. However, it is important to note that detoxification is a complex process, and Shilajit Powder should be used as part of a holistic approach to overall health and wellness.
Question: Can Shilajit Powder help with joint and bone health?
Answer: Shilajit Powder contains various minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and zinc, which are important for maintaining healthy bones and joints. It may help support bone density, promote joint flexibility, and alleviate joint discomfort. Additionally, its anti-inflammatory properties may assist in reducing inflammation associated with joint conditions. However, it is important to remember that Shilajit Powder is not a substitute for medical treatment, and individuals with specific joint or bone conditions should consult with a healthcare professional for appropriate guidance.
Question: What is the recommended dosage of Shilajit?
Answer: The recommended dosage of Shilajit varies depending on the individual and the condition being treated. However, a general guideline is to take 300-500 mg of Shilajit per day.
Question: How should I take Shilajit Powder?
Answer: The recommended dosage of Shilajit Powder can vary depending on the individual and the specific product. It is generally recommended to start with a small dosage and gradually increase it as needed. Shilajit Powder is often taken by mixing it with warm water, milk, or a beverage of your choice. It can also be added to smoothies or other recipes. It is important to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer or consult with a healthcare professional for personalized dosage recommendations.
Shilajit powder can be dissolved in water, milk, or other liquids and taken as a supplement. The recommended dose of shilajit powder is 300 to 500 milligrams per day. However, it is advisable to consult a doctor before taking shilajit powder, especially if you have any medical conditions or are taking any medications.
Question: Are there any side effects of using Shilajit Powder?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is considered safe for most people when taken in appropriate dosages. However, some individuals may experience mild side effects such as an upset stomach, diarrhea, or a slight increase in heart rate. It is important to note that Shilajit Powder is not recommended for individuals with certain medical conditions, including gout or kidney stones. It is always advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement.
Shilajit powder is generally considered safe and well-tolerated by most people when used in moderation and as directed. However, some people may experience some minor side effects such as:
- Allergic reaction
- Increased uric acid levels
- Low blood pressure
- Low blood sugar
These side effects are usually mild and temporary, and can be avoided by reducing the dosage or discontinuing the use of shilajit powder. However, if you experience any severe or persistent side effects, you should stop using shilajit powder immediately and seek medical attention.
Question: Who should not use shilajit powder?
Answer: Shilajit powder is not recommended for certain groups of people who may have higher risks of adverse reactions or complications. These include:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women
- Children under 18 years old
- People with gout or kidney stones
- People with hemochromatosis or iron overload
- People with diabetes or hypoglycemia
- People with hypertension or hypotension
- People with heart disease or arrhythmia
- People with bleeding disorders or blood thinners
- People with thyroid disorders or thyroid medications
- People with autoimmune disorders or immunosuppressants
If you belong to any of these groups, you should avoid using shilajit powder unless advised otherwise by your doctor.
Question: What are the precautions for taking shilajit powder?
Answer: Shilajit powder should be taken with caution by certain groups of people, such as: pregnant or breastfeeding women, children under 18 years old, people with gout or kidney stones, people with iron overload or hemochromatosis, people with low blood pressure or bleeding disorders, or people who are taking blood thinners, antihypertensives, or diabetes medications . Shilajit powder should also be avoided if you have a history of allergic reactions to shilajit or any of its ingredients. Shilajit powder should also be tested for purity and quality before use, as some products may contain contaminants or adulterants that can be harmful.
Question: Can Shilajit Powder help with sexual health?
Answer: Shilajit Powder has been traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine to support sexual health and enhance fertility. It is believed to have aphrodisiac properties and may help improve libido, sexual performance, and reproductive health in both men and women. However, scientific research on its specific effects in this area is limited, and more studies are needed to fully understand its potential benefits.
Question: Does Shilajit Powder have any scientific backing?
Answer: While Shilajit Powder has a long history of use in traditional medicine, scientific research on its specific effects is still limited. Some studies suggest that it may have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and energy-boosting properties. However, more research is needed to establish its benefits conclusively and understand the mechanisms behind its effects.
Question: Can Shilajit Powder improve fertility and sexual health?
Answer: Shilajit Powder has been traditionally used to support reproductive health and may have potential benefits for fertility and sexual function. Some preliminary studies suggest that it could positively influence testosterone levels and sperm quality. However, more robust research is necessary to determine its effectiveness in this regard. If you’re considering using Shilajit Powder for these purposes, consulting a healthcare provider is recommended.
Question: Where can I buy Shilajit Powder?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is available for purchase from various online retailers, health food stores, and specialty stores. It is important to ensure that you are buying a high-quality product from a reputable source. Look for products that are tested for purity and potency, and consider reading customer reviews and ratings before making a purchase.
Question: What are the best sources of shilajit powder?
Answer: Shilajit powder can be obtained from various sources, but not all of them are reliable and trustworthy. Some of the best sources of shilajit powder are:
- Online stores: Online stores offer a wide range of shilajit products from different brands and regions. You can compare prices, reviews, ratings, and feedback from other customers before buying. However, you should also be careful about fake or fraudulent sellers who may sell low-quality or counterfeit products.
- Local stores: Local stores may have some shilajit products available in their shelves or inventory. You can inspect the product physically and ask questions to the seller before buying. However, you should also be aware of the origin, quality, and authenticity of the product.
- Direct from producers: Direct from producers means buying shilajit products directly from the people who harvest and process them in their native regions. This may ensure the highest quality and purity of the product as well as support the local communities. However, this may also involve higher costs and longer delivery times.
No matter which source you choose to buy shilajit powder from, you should always look for the features mentioned above in how to choose the best shilajit powder.
Question: Is Shilajit Powder suitable for vegetarians or vegans?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is often considered suitable for vegetarians and vegans since it is a natural substance that forms from plant and microbial matter. However, it’s crucial to verify the product’s sourcing and manufacturing processes to ensure it aligns with your dietary preferences. Some brands may provide certifications or information indicating that their Shilajit Powder is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Question: Can I take Shilajit Powder with other supplements or medications?
Answer: If you’re currently taking other supplements or medications, it’s important to consult a healthcare professional before adding Shilajit Powder to your routine. There is a possibility of interactions between Shilajit Powder and certain medications or supplements. Your healthcare provider can help you assess potential interactions and determine the best approach for your individual needs.
Question: What are the interactions of shilajit powder with other substances?
Answer: Shilajit powder may interact with some substances and affect their effectiveness or safety. These include:
- Alcohol: Shilajit powder may increase the absorption and metabolism of alcohol, which may lead to increased intoxication and toxicity.
- Drugs: Shilajit powder may alter the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of some drugs, especially those that are metabolized by the liver or excreted by the kidneys. This may result in increased or decreased drug levels, efficacy, or side effects.
- Herbs: Shilajit powder may enhance or inhibit the effects of some herbs, especially those that have similar or opposite actions as shilajit. This may result in synergistic or antagonistic effects.
- Supplements: Shilajit powder may increase or decrease the absorption and utilization of some supplements, especially those that contain minerals or antioxidants. This may result in increased or decreased supplement levels, benefits, or side effects.
If you are using any of these substances, you should consult your doctor before using shilajit powder to avoid any potential interactions.
Question: Can shilajit powder be taken with other supplements or herbs?
Answer: Shilajit powder can be taken with other supplements or herbs to enhance its effects and benefits. However, it is important to consult a doctor before combining shilajit powder with any other supplement or herb, as some combinations may have adverse interactions or contraindications. Some of the common supplements or herbs that can be taken with shilajit powder are:
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that helps the body cope with stress, anxiety, and fatigue. It also boosts immunity, libido, and cognitive function. Ashwagandha and shilajit powder can work synergistically to improve physical and mental performance, energy, and mood.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a spice that has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anticancer properties. It also supports liver health, digestion, and skin health. Turmeric and shilajit powder can work together to reduce inflammation, pain, and oxidative stress in the body.
- Milk thistle: Milk thistle is an herb that protects and detoxifies the liver. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels. Milk thistle and shilajit powder can work together to improve liver function, metabolism, and blood circulation.
- Ginseng: Ginseng is an herb that enhances physical and mental stamina, alertness, and immunity. It also helps regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Ginseng and shilajit powder can work together to increase vitality, endurance, and concentration.
Question: Can Shilajit Powder be used for athletic performance?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is often used by athletes and fitness enthusiasts to support physical performance. It is believed to enhance endurance, improve recovery, and promote muscle strength. However, it is important to note that individual responses may vary, and the effectiveness of Shilajit Powder for athletic performance may depend on various factors such as overall health, training regimen, and diet.
Question: Is Shilajit Powder a substitute for medical treatment?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is not intended to replace medical treatment. While it may offer potential health benefits, it is important to remember that it is a natural supplement and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any specific health concerns or conditions, it is advisable to consult a healthcare professional before incorporating Shilajit Powder into your routine.
Question: How should I store Shilajit Powder?
Answer: To maintain the quality and potency of Shilajit Powder, it’s recommended to store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and moisture. Resealing the packaging tightly after each use can help prevent exposure to air and humidity. Following the storage instructions provided by the manufacturer will ensure that the product remains effective over time.
Question: How long does it take to experience the benefits of Shilajit Powder?
Answer: The time it takes to experience the benefits of Shilajit Powder can vary depending on the individual and their specific health goals. Some people may notice an immediate boost in energy and vitality, while others may experience more gradual improvements over time. Consistency in taking the supplement as recommended is key, and it is important to have realistic expectations and give it time to work.
The effects of shilajit powder may vary depending on the individual’s age, health condition, metabolism, lifestyle, and dosage. Some people may notice immediate results within a few hours or days of taking shilajit powder, while others may take longer to experience its benefits. Generally speaking, it may take up to 6 to 8 weeks of regular use for shilajit powder to show its full potential. However, it is important to note that shilajit powder is not a magic bullet that can cure all ailments. It is best used as a complementary therapy that supports overall wellness and enhances the effectiveness of other treatments
Question: Can Shilajit Powder be used by everyone?
Answer: While Shilajit Powder is generally safe for most people, there are certain groups who should exercise caution or avoid its use. These include individuals who are pregnant or breastfeeding, those with underlying medical conditions such as gout or kidney stones, and individuals taking certain medications. It is always advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are taking medications.
Shilajit powder is generally safe for most healthy adults, but there are some exceptions and precautions that should be considered before taking it. Shilajit powder is not recommended for:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women, as there is not enough evidence to determine its safety and effects on the fetus or infant.
- Children under the age of 18, as there is not enough research to establish its safety and dosage for this age group.
- People with gout, as shilajit powder may increase the levels of uric acid in the blood, which can worsen the condition.
- People with hemochromatosis, as shilajit powder may increase the levels of iron in the blood, which can be harmful for this condition.
- People with sickle cell anemia, as shilajit powder may alter the shape of red blood cells, which can cause complications for this condition.
Shilajit powder may also interact with some medications, such as:
- Anticoagulants or blood thinners, such as warfarin or aspirin, as shilajit powder may increase the risk of bleeding or bruising.
- Antihypertensives or blood pressure medications, such as beta-blockers or calcium channel blockers, as shilajit powder may lower blood pressure too much.
- Hypoglycemics or diabetes medications, such as insulin or metformin, as shilajit powder may lower blood sugar levels too much.
- Hormonal medications, such as birth control pills or thyroid hormones, as shilajit powder may affect the hormonal balance and reduce the effectiveness of these drugs.
Therefore, it is advisable to consult a doctor before taking shilajit powder if you have any medical condition or are taking any medication. It is also important to inform your doctor if you are taking shilajit powder along with any other supplements or herbal remedies.
Question: Is Shilajit Powder approved by regulatory authorities?
Answer: Shilajit Powder is considered a dietary supplement and is not regulated as strictly as pharmaceutical drugs. The quality and safety of Shilajit Powder can vary depending on the manufacturer. It is important to choose products that are tested for purity and potency, and to buy from reputable sources. Additionally, it is advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement.