Tinted serums are skincare products designed to combine the benefits of a serum with the coverage of a foundation or tinted moisturizer. A skincare product that combines the benefits of a serum with the coverage of a foundation or tinted moisturizer. Tinted serums are designed to improve skin texture and tone while providing lightweight coverage and a natural-looking finish.
The product typically contains a blend of active ingredients such as antioxidants, vitamins, and peptides to improve the texture and appearance of the skin.
Videos about the product have over 330 million views on TikTok.
One popular tinted serum generates approximately $202K/month on Amazon.
Tinted serums are part of the Tinted Skincare meta trend.
Tinted skincare products are becoming increasingly popular as the“makeup-free” look starts to become the norm for many women.
Here are a few examples of trending tinted skincare products:
Tinted sunscreen is designed to provide broad-spectrum sun protection while offering a hint of color. They are lightweight, non-greasy, and can be used in place of traditional sunscreens and foundation.
Tinted lip balms moisturize and add color to the lips.
Tinted moisturizers serve as a moisturizer and a foundation. They are lightweight and provide moderate coverage that evens skin tone while hydrating the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: What is tinted serum and how does it work?
Answer: Tinted serum is a skincare-makeup hybrid product that combines the benefits of a serum and a tinted moisturizer. A serum is a concentrated liquid that delivers active ingredients to the skin, such as hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, or retinol. A tinted moisturizer is a lightweight cream that hydrates the skin and provides sheer coverage. Tinted serum works by infusing the skin with essential nutrients while evening out the skin tone and enhancing the natural glow.
Question: What is tinted serum and how does it differ from other types of makeup products?
Answer: Tinted serum is a hybrid product that combines the benefits of skincare and makeup. It is a lightweight, moisturizing formula that provides sheer to medium coverage and a natural-looking finish. Unlike other types of makeup products, such as foundation, concealer, or BB cream, tinted serum does not clog pores, cake up, or oxidize. It also contains active ingredients that nourish, protect, and improve the skin’s appearance over time.
Question: How does Tinted Serum differ from foundation?
Answer: Tinted Serum is not a foundation but a true hybrid product. While foundations provide heavier coverage, Tinted Serums offer minimal coverage while infusing your skin with essential ingredients. They are formulated to nourish your complexion and reveal brighter and younger-looking skin while adding a hint of color.
Question: What are the advantages of using tinted serum?
Answer: Tinted serum has several advantages over using separate products for skincare and makeup. Some of them are:
Hydration: Tinted serum contains hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or aloe vera that can replenish moisture and plump up your skin.
- Protection: Tinted serum often contains SPF or antioxidants that can shield your skin from sun damage, environmental stressors, and free radicals.
- Correction: Tinted serum can help even out your skin tone, reduce redness, cover up blemishes, and brighten your complexion.
- Improvement: Tinted serum can also contain ingredients that target specific skin concerns such as aging signs, acne scars, hyperpigmentation, or dullness. For example, some tinted serums may have retinol, vitamin C, niacinamide, or peptides that can stimulate collagen production, fade dark spots, improve elasticity, or smooth out wrinkles.
- It saves time and money by simplifying your beauty routine.
- It offers a natural-looking coverage that does not clog pores or irritate sensitive skin.
- It provides sun protection, hydration, and anti-aging benefits in one product.
- It adapts to your skin tone and blends seamlessly with your complexion.
- It creates a radiant and healthy-looking skin that lasts all day.
Question: How to choose the right shade of tinted serum for your skin tone?
Answer: Choosing the right shade of tinted serum can be tricky, as different brands may have different naming conventions and color ranges. However, there are some general tips that can help you find your match. First, determine your skin tone and undertone. Skin tone refers to how light or dark your skin is, while undertone refers to the subtle hue that underlies your skin, such as warm, cool, or neutral. You can use online quizzes, color charts, or the vein test to figure out your undertone. Second, look for a tinted serum that matches your skin tone and complements your undertone. For example, if you have a light skin tone and a warm undertone, you may want to look for a tinted serum that has a yellow or peachy base. If you have a dark skin tone and a cool undertone, you may want to look for a tinted serum that has a blue or pink base. Third, test the tinted serum on your jawline or neck before buying it. The best shade should blend seamlessly with your skin and not create any harsh lines or contrast.
Choosing the right shade of tinted serum for your skin tone can be tricky, but there are some tips that can help you find your perfect match. Some of them are:
- Use the online shade finder tool or consult with a beauty expert to determine your undertone (warm, cool, or neutral) and your intensity (light, medium, or deep).
- Test the product on your jawline or neck, not on your hand or wrist, as these areas may have different colors than your face.
- Look for a shade that disappears into your skin without leaving any streaks or patches.
- If you are in between shades, you can mix two shades together or layer them on different areas of your face to create a custom color.
To choose the right shade of tinted serum for your skin tone, you can follow these steps:
- Identify your skin’s undertone, which can be warm, cool, or neutral. You can do this by looking at the veins on your wrist, the jewelry that suits you best, or the colors that flatter you most.
- Choose a tinted serum that matches your undertone. For example, if you have a warm undertone, look for a tinted serum that has yellow or golden tones. If you have a cool undertone, look for a tinted serum that has pink or blue tones. If you have a neutral undertone, look for a tinted serum that has a balance of both warm and cool tones.
- Test the tinted serum on your jawline or neck, not on your hand or wrist. This will help you find a shade that blends seamlessly with your face and neck.
- Check the tinted serum in natural light, not under artificial lighting. This will help you see how the shade looks in different settings and avoid any surprises.
Question: What Skin Types are Suitable for Tinted Serum?
Answer: Tinted serums are generally suitable for a wide range of skin types. They work well for individuals with normal to dry skin due to their hydrating properties. Those with combination skin can also benefit from tinted serums as they provide light coverage without making the skin feel greasy. People with sensitive skin should opt for tinted serums formulated with gentle and non-irritating ingredients. However, those with specific skin concerns like severe acne or significant blemishes may find that tinted serums do not provide enough coverage, and they might prefer using traditional foundations for better concealing.
Question: How to apply tinted serum for the best results?
Answer: Applying tinted serum is easy and quick, but there are some steps that can help you achieve the best results. Applying tinted serum is easy and does not require any special tools or techniques. You can use your fingers, a sponge, or a brush to apply the product, depending on your preference and desired coverage level. Here are some steps to follow:
- Start with a clean and moisturized face. You can also use a primer if you want to smooth out any imperfections or extend the wear time of the product.
- Shake the tinted serum bottle well before using it. This will ensure that the product is well-mixed and has a consistent texture.
- Dispense a small amount of tinted serum on the back of your hand or on a palette. You can always add more later if needed.
- Use a damp makeup sponge, a stippling brush, or your fingers to apply the product on your face. Start from the center and blend outward in circular motions.
- Dot the tinted serum on your forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. You can also apply it on any areas that need extra coverage or correction.
- Blend the tinted serum with your fingers, sponge, or brush in circular motions. Make sure to blend well around your hairline, ears, and jawline to avoid any streaks or patches.
- Build up the coverage as needed by adding more layers on areas where you want more coverage, such as under-eye circles, blemishes, or redness.
- Set the tinted serum with a translucent powder if you want to mattify your skin or extend the wear time of the product. You can also skip this step if you prefer a dewy or natural finish.
- Finish the rest of your makeup as usual.
Question: Can Tinted Serum Replace Sunscreen?
Answer: While some tinted serums contain SPF (sun protection factor), they should not be relied upon as a sole source of sun protection, especially in prolonged sun exposure. The SPF in tinted serums may not provide adequate protection on its own. It is recommended to apply a dedicated broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 before using a tinted serum. This ensures comprehensive protection against UV rays, reducing the risk of sun damage and premature aging.
Question: Can a tinted serum replace a moisturizer?
Answer: While tinted serums can provide hydration and nourishment to the skin, they may not be sufficient as a standalone moisturizer for everyone. The level of hydration provided by a tinted serum may vary depending on the formulation and individual skin needs. Some people with oily or combination skin may find that a tinted serum alone provides enough moisture, while those with dry or dehydrated skin may still require an additional moisturizer. It is important to assess your skin’s specific needs and adjust your skincare routine accordingly.
Question: How to remove tinted serum from your skin?
Answer: Removing tinted serum from your skin is important to prevent any residue or bacteria from clogging your pores or causing breakouts. You can remove it by following these steps:
- Use a gentle makeup remover or micellar water to wipe off the product from your face with a cotton pad or a reusable cloth. You can also use an oil-based cleanser if you have dry skin or prefer a more nourishing option.
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser and warm water to remove any traces of makeup or dirt. You can also use an exfoliating scrub or a facial brush if you want to deep-cleanse your pores or remove any dead skin cells.
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel and apply a moisturizer or a night cream to hydrate and repair your skin.
Question: What are some of the best brands of tinted serum in the market?
Answer: There are many brands of tinted serum in the market, but some of the best ones according to customer reviews and ratings are:
- ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40: This is an innovative clean skin tint that nourishes, protects, and enhances your complexion with active ingredients like squalane, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and non-nano zinc oxide. It offers natural sheer coverage and SPF 40 protection in 18 shades.
- L’Oréal Paris True Match Hyaluronic Tinted Serum: This is a skincare-makeup hybrid that instantly makes your skin look firmer, brighter, and more hydrated with 1% pure hyaluronic acid. It offers lightweight coverage and SPF 30 protection in nine shades.
- NYX Professional Makeup Bare With Me Luminous Tinted Skin Serum: This tinted serum contains tremella mushroom to hydrate and brighten your skin. It also offers light coverage and a luminous finish to give you a dewy glow.
- Kosas Tinted Face Oil: This is a featherweight face oil that moisturizes, plumps, and brightens your skin with botanical oils like avocado, jojoba, rosehip, and green tea. It offers sheer to medium coverage and a dewy finish in 16 shades.
- Saie Slip Tint Dewy Tinted Moisturizer SPF 35: This is a dewy tinted moisturizer that hydrates, smooths, and protects your skin with plant-based ingredients like squalane, aloe vera, licorice, and oat milk. It offers light to medium coverage and SPF 35 protection in 10 shades.
- Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint: This is a breathable skin tint that evens out the skin tone and enhances the natural glow with diamond powder, glycerin, and pigment technology. It offers sheer coverage and a natural finish in 12 shades.
Question: What are some of the common ingredients in tinted serum and what are their benefits?
Answer: Tinted serum contains a variety of ingredients that can benefit your skin in different ways. Some of the common ingredients and their benefits are:
- Hyaluronic acid: This is a molecule that can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water. It helps to hydrate, plump, and smooth the skin by attracting and retaining moisture.
- Vitamin C: This is an antioxidant that can fight free radicals, brighten the skin tone, and stimulate collagen production. It helps to reduce the appearance of dark spots, wrinkles, and dullness.
- Retinol: This is a form of vitamin A that can speed up cell turnover, unclog pores, and boost collagen synthesis. It helps to improve the texture, firmness, and elasticity of the skin.
- Zinc oxide: This is a mineral that can reflect or scatter UV rays, providing broad-spectrum sun protection. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can soothe and heal the skin.
- Niacinamide: This is a form of vitamin B3 that can regulate sebum production, reduce inflammation, and strengthen the skin barrier. It helps to minimize the appearance of pores, redness, and hyperpigmentation.
Question: How to store tinted serum properly?
Answer: Storing tinted serum properly is essential to preserve its quality and effectiveness. You can store it by following these tips:
- Keep it away from direct sunlight, heat, or moisture, as these factors can degrade the ingredients or cause bacterial growth.
- Store it in a cool, dry, and dark place, such as a drawer, a cabinet, or a makeup bag.
- Close the cap or lid tightly after each use to prevent any air or dust from entering the bottle or tube.
- Check the expiration date or the period-after-opening symbol on the label to know how long you can use the product safely.
Question: How to use tinted serum with other makeup products?
Answer: Tinted serum can be used with other makeup products to create different looks or effects. You can use it with these products by following these suggestions:
- Primer: You can use a primer before applying tinted serum to smooth out any imperfections or extend the wear time of the product. You can also use a color-correcting primer to neutralize any discoloration or redness on your skin.
- Concealer: You can use a concealer after applying tinted serum to cover up any blemishes or under-eye circles that need more coverage. You can also use a lighter shade of concealer to highlight certain areas of your face, such as your cheekbones, brow bones, or cupid’s bow.
- Powder: You can use a powder after applying tinted serum to set the product and make it last longer. You can also use a translucent powder to mattify your skin or a luminous powder to add more glow.
- Blush: You can use a blush after applying tinted serum to add some color and warmth to your cheeks. You can also use a cream blush to blend with the product for a more natural look or a powder blush to layer on top for a more intense look.
- Bronzer: You can use a bronzer after applying tinted serum to contour your face and create some dimension. You can also use a cream bronzer to blend with the product for a more subtle look or a powder bronzer to layer on top for a more defined look.
- Highlighter: You can use a highlighter after applying tinted serum to accentuate your features and create some radiance. You can also use a liquid highlighter to mix with the product for an all-over glow or a powder highlighter to dab on specific areas for a more targeted glow.
Question: What are some of the common mistakes people make when using tinted serum and how to avoid them?
Answer: Tinted serum is easy to use, but there are some common mistakes people make when using it that can affect its performance or appearance. Some of them are:
- Using too much product: Using too much product can make your skin look cakey or greasy instead of natural or dewy. To avoid this mistake, start with a small amount of
- product and build up the coverage as needed by adding more layers on areas where you want more coverage.
- Using the wrong shade of product: Using the wrong shade of product can make your skin look unnatural or mismatched. To avoid this mistake, use the online shade finder tool or consult with a beauty expert to determine your undertone and intensity and test the product on your jawline or neck before buying it.
- Applying the product with the wrong tool: Applying the product with the wrong tool can affect the finish or coverage of the product. To avoid this mistake, use a damp makeup sponge, a stippling brush, or your fingers to apply the product on your face and blend it well in circular motions.
- Skipping sunscreen: Skipping sunscreen can expose your skin to harmful UV rays that can cause sunburn, premature aging, or skin cancer. To avoid this mistake, use a tinted serum that has SPF protection or apply a separate sunscreen before applying the product.
Question: Can I use Tinted Serum if I have sensitive skin?
Answer: Yes! Tinted Serums are suitable for individuals with sensitive skin. They are formulated to be gentle on the skin and are often vegan, cruelty-free, silicone-free, fragrance-free, oil-free, and non-comedogenic.
Question: How long does a typical bottle of Tinted Serum last?
Answer: The longevity of a bottle of Tinted Serum depends on factors such as frequency of use and amount applied per use. However, on average, a bottle can last several months when used as directed.
Question: Can I wear Tinted Serum alone without additional makeup?
Answer: Absolutely! Tinted Serums can be worn alone for a natural-looking finish. They provide sheer coverage that evens out your complexion while allowing your natural beauty to shine through.
Question: Can I wear Tinted Serum under my regular foundation?
Answer: Yes! Tinted Serums can be used as a base layer under traditional foundation for added coverage. They create a smooth canvas for makeup application while providing skincare benefits.
Question: Are there any specific application techniques for applying Tinted Serum?
Answer: The application technique for Tinted Serum is similar to that of other liquid foundations or serums. You can use your fingers, a brush, or a sponge to apply it evenly onto your face. Start with a small amount and build up coverage as desired.
Question: Are Tinted Serums Non-Comedogenic?
Answer: Tinted serums can vary in terms of their comedogenicity, which refers to their likelihood of clogging pores and causing acne. Some tinted serums are formulated to be non-comedogenic, making them suitable for acne-prone or sensitive skin. However, it’s essential to check the product label and ingredient list to confirm if a specific tinted serum is non-comedogenic. If you have concerns about potential breakouts, patch testing on a small area of skin is advisable before applying it to your entire face.
Question: Can Tinted Serum Be Worn Alone?
Answer: Yes, tinted serum can absolutely be worn alone. Many people choose to wear tinted serum without additional makeup for a natural, “no-makeup” makeup look. It provides a subtle tint to even out the skin tone, while the skincare benefits can help improve the overall appearance of the skin. However, if you desire more coverage or have specific imperfections to conceal, you can layer it with other makeup products like concealer or powder.
Question: How Long Does Tinted Serum Last on the Skin?
Answer: The longevity of tinted serum on the skin can vary depending on the product and your skin type. Generally, tinted serums are not as long-lasting as traditional foundations. They may last anywhere from 4 to 8 hours. To extend the wear time, you can use a makeup setting spray or powder. If you have oily skin, you may find that blotting excess oil during the day can help maintain the coverage.
Question: Can Tinted Serum Help Improve Skin Texture?
Answer: Tinted serums often contain skincare ingredients like hyaluronic acid, vitamins, and antioxidants, which can contribute to improved skin texture over time. These ingredients can hydrate the skin, reduce fine lines, and provide a smoother appearance. However, the extent of improvement may vary from person to person, and results may take some time to become noticeable. For more targeted treatment of specific skin texture concerns, you may consider using additional skincare products.
Question: Are There Different Shades of Tinted Serum Available?
Answer: Yes, most brands offer a range of shades for their tinted serums to accommodate various skin tones. When selecting a shade, it’s essential to choose one that closely matches your skin tone to achieve a natural look. Some tinted serums are formulated to be more versatile, adapting to a range of skin tones, while others offer a specific shade selection. If you’re uncertain about the shade that suits you best, you can often consult with a makeup artist or use online shade-matching tools provided by the brand.
Question: Can I use a tinted serum as a standalone product or do I need to use other makeup?
Answer: Tinted serums can be used as a standalone product if you prefer a natural and minimal makeup look. They provide a sheer coverage that evens out the skin tone and can give a radiant, healthy glow. However, if you desire more coverage or want to address specific skin concerns, you can layer other makeup products on top of the tinted serum. This can include concealer, powder, blush, or bronzer to achieve your desired level of coverage and finish.
Question: Can I use a tinted serum if I have oily or acne-prone skin?
Answer: Yes, tinted serums can be suitable for oily or acne-prone skin types. Look for tinted serums that are oil-free, non-comedogenic, and specifically formulated for oily or acne-prone skin. These products are often lightweight and won’t clog pores or contribute to excess oiliness. Additionally, some tinted serums contain ingredients like salicylic acid or niacinamide, which can help control oil production and minimize breakouts. As with any skincare product, it’s always a good idea to do a patch test and monitor your skin’s reaction before incorporating it into your routine.
Question: Can I wear a tinted serum during outdoor activities?
Answer: Many tinted serums provide added benefits, such as SPF or antioxidant protection, making them suitable for outdoor activities. However, it’s important to check the product label to ensure it offers adequate sun protection. If the tinted serum does not contain SPF, it’s recommended to apply a separate sunscreen with at least SPF 30 before using the tinted serum. This will help protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Additionally, reapply sunscreen every two hours when spending extended time outdoors.