KDP books is a platform or service offered by Amazon that allows authors to self-publish and sell their books on Amazon’s Kindle Store. It provides tools and resources for authors to format and publish their books, as well as access to Amazon’s extensive distribution network.
KDP books describe books published through Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) service. These books are self-published for free, which is why a growing number of independent creators are using the service. While people can use KDP to publish any type of book, growing interest in KDP books can be mainly attributed to low-content books, like planners and journals.
(Searches for “KDP low content books” have increased by 240% in the last 24 months.)
KDP books are part of the Low Content Books meta trend.
Planners, journals, notebooks, agendas, and guest books are examples of popular low-content books.
Low content books are becoming a popular DTC product category, mainly because they’re relatively easy to create and can be easily self-published through platforms like KDP.
Low-content books are also becoming popular in online communities like “booktok”. Videos mentioning low-content books have amassed over 93 million views on TikTok.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Here are the latest TOP 10 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) related to KDP Books:
Question: What is KDP?
Answer: KDP stands for Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing and it is a service that allows you to self-publish eBooks, paperbacks, and hardcover books for free on Amazon’s Kindle Store. You can reach millions of readers worldwide, set your own prices, and keep control of your rights.
Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) is a self-publishing platform offered by Amazon that allows authors and publishers to publish and distribute their books in digital format through the Kindle Store. KDP enables authors to reach a global audience and sell their eBooks to Kindle users on various devices, including Kindle e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and computers.
Question: What does KDP stand for?
Answer: KDP stands for Kindle Direct Publishing which is perhaps the biggest platform for self-published authors. It helps the authors to reach directly to millions of readers all around the globe. Kdp is Amazon’s ebook publishing platform first launched in November 2007.
Question: How does KDP work?
Answer: KDP provides a simple and user-friendly process for authors to publish their books. Here’s how it works:
- Create an account: Authors need to create a KDP account on the Amazon website and provide the necessary personal and tax information.
- Format the book: Authors can format their books using Kindle Create, a free tool provided by Amazon, or they can upload a professionally formatted eBook file in formats like MOBI or ePub.
- Set book details: Authors set the title, subtitle, author name, book description, and choose appropriate categories and keywords to help readers discover their books.
- Upload the cover: Authors upload a cover image for their book, which should meet Amazon’s guidelines for quality and dimensions.
- Choose pricing and royalty options: Authors set the pricing for their books and select royalty options, which determine the percentage of royalties they’ll earn on each sale.
- Publish the book: After reviewing all the details and ensuring the book meets Amazon’s content guidelines, authors can publish their book to the Kindle Store.
- Promote and market: Once the book is live, authors can promote their work through various marketing channels, such as social media, author websites, email newsletters, and advertising, to maximize exposure and sales.
Question: What types of books can be published on KDP?
Answer: KDP allows authors to publish a wide range of book genres, including fiction, non-fiction, academic, self-help, children’s books, cookbooks, and more. Almost any type of book that complies with Amazon’s content guidelines can be published on KDP.
Question: What are the different formats that I can publish my books in?
Answer: You can publish your books in both digital and print formats on KDP Books. Digital formats include:
- And more!
Print formats include:
- And more!
Question: What types of content can I publish through KDP?
Answer: KDP allows you to publish eBooks (Kindle) and print books (Paperback and Hardcover). However, KDP does not allow the creation of magazines, periodicals, calendars, or spiral bound books. Content types typically published using KDP include but are not limited to the following:
- Book Series
- Children’s Books
- Reference books
Question: What are the advantages of publishing books through KDP?
Answer: Publishing books through KDP offers several advantages:
- Global reach: KDP allows authors to distribute their books to a global audience, reaching millions of Kindle users worldwide.
- Control and ownership: Authors retain full control and ownership of their books, including the rights, pricing, and distribution options. They can update and modify their books at any time.
- Royalties and earnings: KDP offers competitive royalty rates, allowing authors to earn up to 70% of the list price for their books, depending on the pricing, delivery costs, and book details.
- Sales tracking and analytics: KDP provides comprehensive sales reports and analytics that help authors track their book sales, monitor performance, and make informed marketing and promotional decisions.
- Kindle features: Publishing through KDP enables access to Kindle-specific features such as Kindle Unlimited and Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, which can increase visibility and earnings for enrolled books.
- Print-on-Demand (POD): KDP offers a Print-on-Demand service called “KDP Print,” allowing authors to create and sell paperback versions of their books alongside eBooks.
Question: What are the benefits of enrolling in KDP Select?
Answer: KDP Select is a program that gives you access to additional tools and features to promote your book and reach more readers. By enrolling in KDP Select, you agree to make your eBook exclusive to Amazon for 90 days. In return, you can:
- Earn higher royalties from Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library
- Run a Free Book Promotion or a Kindle Countdown Deal
- Get eligibility for 70% royalty in Brazil, Japan, India, and Mexico
- Access promotional tools like Amazon Advertising
- Reach a global audience with automatic translation into other languages
Question: What are the drawbacks of using KDP Books?
Answer: There are a few drawbacks to using KDP Books, including:
- Competition: There is a lot of competition on Amazon, so it can be difficult to stand out from the crowd.
- Marketing: You will need to do your own marketing to promote your books.
- Royalties: KDP Books takes a 30% cut of your book sales, so you will not earn as much money as you would if you published your books through another platform.
Question: How do I start publishing my book on KDP?
Answer: To publish your book on KDP, you need to create an account on the KDP website, complete your tax information, and enter your payment details. Once you have created an account, you can create a new book or series on your KDP Bookshelf, upload your manuscript and cover design. You will also need to fill out some information about your book such as the title, author name, description, keywords, set your pricing and distribution options, and publish your book.
Question: How do I update my book after it is published?
Answer: You can update your book after it is published by uploading a new version of the manuscript or cover file. The updated version will be reviewed by KDP Amazon before it is made available for sale.
Question: Can authors update or modify their books after publishing on KDP?
Answer: Yes, authors can update and modify their books after publishing on KDP. Authors can make changes to the book’s content, cover, metadata, pricing, and even switch between royalty options. Updates usually go live within 24 to 48 hours, and the changes are reflected on the Kindle Store. However, it’s essential to carefully review any modifications to ensure the quality and integrity of the book.
Question: Can authors publish books on KDP if they have a traditional publishing contract?
Answer: The ability to publish on KDP while having a traditional publishing contract depends on the terms and conditions of the specific publishing contract. Some traditional publishing contracts may grant the author the rights to self-publish eBooks or specific digital formats. However, it is important for authors to review their contracts or consult with their publishers to ensure they comply with any exclusivity or rights restrictions.
Question: Can authors sell their books through other platforms if they publish on KDP?
Answer: Yes, authors can choose to enroll their eBooks in KDP Select, an optional program that grants Amazon exclusive distribution rights for a limited period. If authors choose to enroll, they agree to make the eBook available exclusively on Kindle during that period. This exclusivity requirement means the eBook cannot be sold or distributed through other platforms. However, authors are still allowed to sell their paperback editions or distribute books through other platforms if they are not enrolled in KDP Select.
Question: What are the requirements for publishing a book on KDP?
Answer: To publish a book on KDP, you need to follow the publishing guidelines and policies of Amazon. Some of the requirements are:
- You must provide accurate and complete book details and metadata
- You must use a supported eBook format or a print-ready PDF file
- You must comply with the content quality standards and avoid plagiarism, typos, formatting errors, etc.
- You must respect the intellectual property rights of others and avoid infringement or violation of any laws
- You must own the rights to your book or have permission from the rights holder to publish it.
- Your book must have a unique title, author name, and binding type on KDP if it has an existing ISBN from a different publisher.
- Your book must have a valid ISBN if you want to sell it in certain territories or channels.
- Your book must have a high-quality cover image that meets our specifications.
- Your book must be formatted properly for Kindle or print according to our guidelines.
Question: Can authors publish paperback books through KDP?
Answer: Yes, authors can publish paperback books through KDP using the Print-on-Demand (POD) service called “KDP Print.” KDP Print allows authors to create high-quality paperback versions of their books, which are then listed on Amazon alongside the eBook editions. Authors can customize the paperback’s size, paper type, cover design, and pricing. When a paperback is ordered, it is printed and shipped on-demand, eliminating the need for inventory or upfront costs.
Question: Is there a cost to publish books on KDP?
Answer: No, there is no cost to publish books on KDP. It is free to sign up for an account and publish eBooks or paperbacks through the platform. Authors earn royalties on book sales, and Amazon deducts a percentage as a distribution fee.
Question: How much does it cost to publish on KDP?
Answer: It is free to publish your book on KDP. However, Amazon takes a percentage of the royalties for each sale.
Question: How much does Amazon charge to publish a book?
Answer: It is free to publish on KDP. Amazon charges a commission on each sale made. The commission varies depending on the price of the book and the country where it is sold. For example, if you sell a book for $2.99 in the US, Amazon will take 30% of the sale price as commission.
Question: Is it free to publish on KDP?
Answer: Yes, it is free to publish on KDP.
Question: How do I set the price for my book?
Answer: You can set the price for your book during the publishing process. Amazon will take a percentage of the royalties based on the price you set. You can set your own list prices for your books on KDP. However, there are some factors that may affect your pricing options, such as:
- The royalty plan you choose (35% or 70%)
- The file size of your eBook
- The distribution channels you select
- The territories where you have rights to sell your book
- The printing costs of your paperback or hardcover book
You can use our pricing calculators to estimate your royalties and printing costs based on different scenarios.
Question: How long does it take to publish a book on KDP?
Answer: It depends on the type of book you are publishing and whether you encounter any issues during the process. Generally speaking, it takes less than 5 minutes to upload your book files and enter your book details. After that, it takes up to 72 hours for your book to be reviewed and published on Kindle stores worldwide. If you publish a paperback or hardcover book, it may take an additional 3 days for it to be available for purchase. You can track the status of your book on your KDP Bookshelf.
Question: How long does it take to get approved by KDP Amazon?
Answer: It usually takes 24-48 hours for your book to be approved by KDP Amazon.
Question: How do I get paid for sales of my book?
Answer: You can choose to receive payment via direct deposit or check. Payments are made approximately 60 days after the end of each month in which sales occurred.
Question: How much money can I make on KDP?
Answer: The amount of money you can make with KDP depends on several factors, such as the demand for your book, the price you set, the royalty rate you choose, and the sales channels you use. You can earn up to 70% royalty on sales to customers in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, India, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and more. You can also enroll in KDP Select and earn more money through Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. The royalty rate depends on the price of the book and the country where it is sold.
Question: How are royalties calculated on KDP?
Answer: Royalties on KDP depend on several factors, including the book’s list price, file size, and the selected royalty option. Here’s an overview:
- eBooks priced between $2.99 and $9.99: If the book falls within this price range, authors can choose either a 35% or 70% royalty option. To qualify for the 70% option, the book must meet specific pricing and delivery requirements.
- eBooks priced below $2.99 or above $9.99: Books priced outside the $2.99 to $9.99 range are eligible for a 35% royalty option.
For eBooks enrolled in Kindle Unlimited or Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, authors earn royalties based on the number of pages read by subscribers.
Question: Who has KDP courses?
Answer: There are many courses available online that teach how to use KDP effectively. Some popular courses include “KDP Jumpstart” by Amazon, “Self-Publishing School” by Chandler Bolt, and “Kindlepreneur” by Dave Chesson.
Question: When will my sales from Amazon Ads (PPC) show on sales dashboard?
Answer: Once the book is printed and shipped.
Question: Can I publish my book in multiple languages?
Answer: Yes, you can publish your book in multiple languages. However, you will need to create a separate listing for each language.
Question: Does KDP own my book?
Answer: No, KDP does not own your book. You retain all rights to your book.
Question: How do I promote my book on KDP?
Answer: There are several ways to promote your book on KDP such as running ads, offering promotions or discounts, and using social media.
- Enrolling your eBook in KDP Select to access promotional tools like Free Book Promotion and Kindle Countdown Deal.
- Creating an Amazon Author Central page to showcase your books and biography.
- Joining Amazon Advertising to create ads that target readers who are likely to buy your book.
- Requesting customer reviews for your book to increase its visibility and credibility.
- Building an email list and social media presence to connect with your readers and fans.
Question: How do I get my book noticed on Amazon?
Answer: There are several ways to get your book noticed on Amazon. You can optimize your book’s metadata (title, subtitle, description, keywords), use Amazon Advertising to promote your book, participate in Kindle Unlimited and Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, and use social media and other marketing channels to promote your book.
Question: How do I choose the best keywords for my book on KDP?
Answer: Keywords are words or phrases that describe your book and help customers find it on Amazon. To choose the best keywords for your book on KDP, you should:
- Research your target audience and niche
- Use tools like Google Keyword Planner or Amazon Keyword Tool to find relevant and popular keywords
- Avoid using generic or vague terms that are too broad or competitive
- Include specific details that differentiate your book from others
- Use up to seven keywords or keyword phrases separated by commas
- Test and optimize your keywords regularly
Question: How do I create a compelling cover for my book on KDP?
Answer: The cover of your book is one of the most important factors that influence customers’ buying decisions. To create a compelling cover for your book on KDP, you should:
- Use high-quality images that match your genre and theme
- Use clear and legible fonts that suit your tone and style
- Use colors that contrast well and evoke emotions
- Use a simple and catchy title that captures attention
- Use a subtitle or tagline that summarizes your main benefit or promise
- Use a professional design tool or service like Canva or Fiverr
Question: How do I write an effective description for my book on KDP?
Answer: The description of your book is another key element that persuades customers to buy your book. To write an effective description for your book on KDP, you should:
- Use an attention-grabbing headline that hooks readers
- Use bullet points or short paragraphs to highlight the main features or benefits of your book
- Use keywords that match your customers’ search intent
- Use testimonials or social proof to build credibility and trust
- Use a clear call to action that tells readers what to do next
- Use HTML tags to format your description and make it more readable
Question: How do I market and promote my book on KDP?
Answer: Marketing and promoting your book on KDP is essential to increase your visibility and sales. There are many ways to market and promote your book on KDP, such as:
- Creating an author website or blog
- Building an email list and sending newsletters
- Engaging with readers on social media platforms
- Getting reviews from customers or influencers
- Running ads on Amazon or other platforms
- Participating in podcasts or interviews
- Collaborating with other authors or experts in your niche.
Question: How do I track my sales and royalties on KDP?
Answer: You can track your sales and royalties on KDP using our reports dashboard. You can view various reports that show you different aspects of your sales performance, such as:
- Orders report: Shows you how many copies of each book were ordered during a specific period.
- Sales dashboard: Shows you how much revenue you earned from each marketplace during a specific period.
- Royalties report: Shows you how much royalty you earned from each book during a specific period.
- Payments report: Shows you how much money you received from each marketplace during a specific period.
- Prior months’ royalties report: Shows you how much royalty you earned from each book in previous months.
Question: How do I get paid by KDP?
Answer: You get paid by KDP through direct deposit or check depending on the marketplace where you sell your books and the payment method you choose. You can update your payment information and preferences on your account settings page. You will receive payments from KDP approximately 60 days after the end of each calendar month in which you made sales. For example, if you made sales in January, you will receive payments in late March.
Question: How do I receive payment for my KDP book sales?
Answer: Amazon pays royalties for KDP book sales through direct deposit, wire transfer, or check, depending on your location and payment preferences. Payments are made monthly, approximately 60 days after the end of the month in which the sale occurred. Be sure to provide accurate banking and tax information to ensure timely and accurate payments.
Question: How do I cancel my KDP Select enrollment?
Answer: To cancel your KDP Select enrollment, you will need to go to the KDP website and click on the “Your Account” tab. Then, click on the “Manage Your Books” tab and select the book that you want to cancel. Finally, click on the “Cancel KDP Select” button.
Question: What is Kindle Unlimited?
Answer: Kindle Unlimited is a subscription service offered by Amazon that allows readers to access over one million books and audiobooks for a monthly fee. Authors who enroll their books in Kindle Unlimited are paid based on how many pages are read by subscribers.
Question: What is KDP Select?
Answer: KDP Select is an optional program that allows authors to make their books available exclusively on Amazon’s Kindle Store for 90 days. In exchange for exclusivity, authors receive additional promotional tools such as free promotions and access to Kindle Unlimited.